Monday, January 28, 2008

Follow the Tracks...

We got a crazy amount of snow here in the last 24 hours. The older folk of Walla Walla are saying this is the worst they've seen in years. And I have to say, I was pretty excited about it. I love playing in the snow. I was excited until I went to get into my little Honda Civic after work and found that I was stuck, really stuck. So I did what any person would do...I called my dad. He was just sitting down to eat his warm dinner when I called. He left his plate, and came to rescue his daughter. After finally getting me free I followed him to his house to eat dinner. He lives out in the country so there isn't really a driveway...just a big lawn to park in. He made tracks with his truck and told me that when I was backing out all I had to do was follow the tracks out. As I was leaving the house he reminded me, "Tara, just follow the tracks I made for you and you'll be fine." Turns out... that was great advice. I was doing fine, following the tracks, but then at the very end I wanted to turn around so, thinking I had enough momentum, I turned...and got stuck...again. Then just as I was hitting my head against the back of my seat thinking about my stupidity, there was my dad, laughing, ready to dig me out....again. As I was driving home I started thinking about the parallels between what had happened that night and what often happens with me and God. He says to me, "Tara, just follow the tracks I made for you and you'll be fine", but time and time again I find myself going off the path, thinking I have enough momentum to do it for myself...and then I get stuck...again...aand again. The amazing thing is, just like my dad, God is ready and willing to dig me out and put me back on track every time. Amazing isn't it?

But alas, the story goes on...as I drove up to my house I slowed down and was looking for a place I could park where I wouldn't get stuck. After finding a place that looked suitable I tried to start driving...and found that I was stuck...again...IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD! So I called my dear roommates out of our warm house to come and help me push my car out (Emily I'm sorry for getting frustrated!). Now my car sits on the side of the road by our house...stuck...again.



Stupid car!
The Man himself.

4 comments:

  1. Tara, I laugh now because you were so frustrated with being stuck and it was sad! :( :) But I was glad we all got it worked out. And you can ride with Alex and I to school don't you worry. Ok. I am not studying right now and I need to be AHHHHH! Love Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, my beautiful, beautiful daughter... Just like you, I have gotten off track before and, just as I did for you, my heavenly Father comes and helps me get out of the mess I've made for myself. The only reason I would know to tell you to stay in the tracks is because I've learned first-hand what happens when you don't. Keep sharing your love for Jesus, baby, and reminding others to stay in the tracks He's made... and even if they don't, remind them that they have a heavenly Father who is ready and willing to help them get back on the road... (the narrow one that leads to eternal life). :-) I love you. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we parents are like that - quite God-like, I would say. Yeah, right! But we do have an immense amount of forgiveableness inside of us for our kids. Can you just imagine the wonder of the vast, forgiving nature of God who is perfect?

    ReplyDelete