Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"G3!" "That's what's up!"

"G3 we're here to be
the very best
beeetter than the rest
so look to your left and look to your right
our counselor is out of sight"

Tara (from the other side of the caf): "A little bit louder now!"

"What what turn it up?
ta ta ta ta tara ta ta ta tara
Ta Ta Ta Ta Tara Ta Ta Ta Tara
TA TA TA TARA TA TA TA TARA"

"Now that we're complete"
Tara: "Say what!?"
"Listen to us stomp our feet"
(insert awesome stomp routine)
"What!"



The first day of teen week was a little sketch. I had 4 girls that I knew from previous years, 3 that had been in the cabin across from me last year, and one who was staying for her 2nd week. 8 girls, all different, all reluctant to bend, all expecting an amazing week. But by day 2....man....we were a family. I came back from my day off and they had already made up that cheer, learned it, practiced it, and were ready for when we were announced for kitchen duty the next morning. And, the most beautiful thing about it was that they had done it together. I watched all week as time after time they uplifted and supported each other, regardless of how different they were. And trust me, they were different. To be honest, there were times when I actually had a hard time connecting with every one, but not my girls. If one person wasn't playing around in the lake, everyone would yell their name until finally they'd throw all care of their hair to the wind, and dive in. I know that I'm supposed to be showing an example of Christ to my kids, but...this week...I feel like it may have been the other way around. Ah camp, what an amazing opportunity to reach kids...and be reached.

4 comments:

  1. Your girls were awesome. And the cheers...epic. I'm glad I visited last week. :) Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had some real winners, it's true. But I'm glad you don't have to counsel this week and we can hang out more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tara,
    i am excited that you had such a good cabin, especially as you were doing overtime with the parent liasion thing as well going on! they really did seem like a awesome bunch of girls, but don't forget to take some credit too, you are an awesome counselor too!

    ReplyDelete