Monday, February 14, 2011

2.14.11

On the way here I shared a portion of my trip with a retired car salesman named Dave. How he got in my car is a bit of a story--but it's safe and makes sense, so don't worry.

Dave is 74 years old, swears like it's nothin, and calls me 'hun' when he gives me directions. He is precious. He is a grandfather of six and a great grandfather of two ("little tots", he calls them). I was like the riddler for that treasured half hour--asking all the questions I could think of--straining every last drop of wisdom and life experience into my brain before he left. Dave isn't much of a story teller, turns out, but he was kind enough to humor my curiosity.

When he told me that he has been married to his wife for 54 years I immediately put my hand on his shoulder and was like, "Dave, that's awesome!". It's funny that this was my response. He seemed pretty tickled by it though, like I had reminded him that he was a marriage champion. When I asked about the secret to his marathon marriage he just said, "Back in those days you thought you were getting married for life."

Ah, right.

***

I start my job tomorrow. It's the beginning of a new phase and I have a feeling that the anticipation isn't going to let me sleep very much tonight. But the drive over was really good, and I think tomorrow will be too. And the next day will be awesome because JESSI TURNER is gracing me with her ever-loving presence. Ooooohhh man. Here we go!

7 comments: