Tuesday, February 15, 2011

belly buttons and brain waves

My eyes are droopy and I'm about to get ready for bed. It was a full day of work--and I mean full in all senses of the word. So tonight I took it easy and just enjoyed the fact that I'm free to do what I please. Free to read by the fire until I accidentally doze off, play around on the guitar and Skype with friends.

I've been reading a book called Traveling Mercies by Ann Lamott. My appreciation for the book, who she is and the way she views her faith grows with every word. Tonight was an exceptional night of reading. She had lots of little gems of insight that I made a point to underline in the book and take note of in my brain. She's so raw. I don't know how else to explain the way she writes--but I really like it. Tonight she talked about how belly buttons stink, and I thought that was funny and uncomfortable and real--and I think that's perfect.

Tonight she said something that I loved thinking about, and am going to love thinking about it for much longer. She said:

"Again and again I tell God I need help, and God says, 'Well, isn't that fabulous? Because I need some help too. So you go get that old woman over there some water, and I'll figure out what we're going to do about your stuff."

And so we're all in this together--just like God wants. We're falling and reaching for help with our left hand while our right is pulling someone else to their feet.

I need a shoulder.
You need a hand.
She needs a car.
He needs a check.

So tomorrow what I am going to try to do is remember that I'm trying to help God answer prayers, and while He's helping me by working through other people, maybe I can be worked through too. A tool for God, if you will. What a concept. Now if I could just remember and apply all the other things I was taught in Sabbath school...

8 comments:

  1. wow...I want to read this book...that is so true! so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do you guys find all these good books?! i want to read it too now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to pick up Traveling Mercies for a long time. Maybe I'll just swing by your house and borrow it when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, i'm almost done with emily's book, and i am going to need another one to start reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to talk to you! This is a beautiful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool thoughts Tara...I hope that you have an opportunity to share God's love with someone at work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, thats a life changing quote

    ReplyDelete