Saturday, December 19, 2009

addison rae

(photo by: Janice Northrup)



I held her today, my baby niece. She's beautiful. She's got big blue eyes and thick black hair that doesn't ever lay down. She makes noises that could never be spelled out and can only be defined as "baby noises". She's got ten fingers and ten toes, but they're so small that you wonder how the bones fit in there. She's "mushy", I've decided. Real mushy. Sometimes when I'm holding her and she's real wiggly I have horrible visions of her head snapping back and off. Morbid, I know. Real? Yes, in my brain. So I handle her with care, bouncing up and down and making noises that I don't usually make....because, well, she's a baby, she gets it.

She fell asleep in my arms this afternoon, and I fell asleep too, with a smile on my face and an extra fullness in my heart.

My brother has a "daddy" way about him now. And Vanessa has definitely become a "mama". It's strange, they're different. It's this maturity that I think only comes from being a parent. The world is different, all of a sudden. Things that didn't matter do now, and things that did, just don't. I love it. I love seeing them in parent mode. My brother makes me wash my hands regularly. His are getting cracked because he washes them like 30 times a day. New parents. New parents are preciously careful and loving. They're gonna do good. She's gonna be good. Maybe I can get her first words to be "Auntie Tara."

11 comments:

  1. she sounds absolutely adorable! so glad you are back at home with the fam, yay you survived finals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i love this writing! and jacob, yes! babies babies babies! just wait till there are little jacobs running around. hahah

    tara i want to see you soon. hmph. ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW ADORABLE IS SHE!!! wow.. what a precious baby. I love that picture of her and her name is a great one!

    She is definitely going to love having an Aunt like you. Your spunky and fun and I'm sure you will teach her plenty.

    I'm going to Em's on Monday and she said she's coming to visit you probably, not sure of all my plans but I might be tagging along if she makes a trip to ww to come and visit. Hope thats ok

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bye, Tara. Ok, there. I think I forgot to say that before you left. And you wooooould like your baby niece. I think I would, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i believe addison rae will be an exceptional, unique human being... despite the disadvantage of being born with the very boring and ordinary number of fingers and toes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's beautiful! I'm so happy that you get to be an Aunt and stuff. I hope my brother and his wife have a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tara! I'm so excited for you. I never tire of hearing or seeing families' excitement about the newest member of their clan, but yours is especially special.
    I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky! You have an incredibly precious niece. This post makes me really happy :)

    ReplyDelete