Thursday, January 7, 2010

an evening well spent

Ever since break I've been planning on making a bean bag. I would think about it before I went to bed, picturing what it would look like and how I would make it. I get excited about these things, you see. Most of the time the things works out exactly how I picture it . Most of the time.

After some input and discussion we decided that doing it like a baseball would make it the most round-ish. The plan was to sew together the material, then go to FedEx and ask them to load me up with packing peanuts. Brilliant and resourceful, my favorite.


I spent the whole evening working on it tonight, while my other roommates did their own crafty projects. I finally got the outline done. Well, one outline done. Then I started to sew, using my NEW sewing machine for the first time!

I started to have doubts about the durability of this epic bag, so I asked Nate what he thought.

"Honestly, I don't think that thread will hold Tara. And I think the fabric is too thin...so even if the thread does hold I think the fabric will eventually tear."

Dangit. Honesty.

I started to sew anyway, explaining to Nate how very careful I would be when I sat on it (it's hard for me to let go of these ideas once they've been formed). But then my sewing machine jammed, a sign that it wasn't meant to be, I suppose.

I think it's gonna require tools this time. Tools that I don't think I own.

So now I have an outline of tape that could be mistaken for a crime scene where Mr. Peanut was murdered, and there will be no handmade bean bag.


I was thinking about it though, and I never imagined that this would be what an evening of mine would look like. I never thought that I would love to sew different things, or crochet funky stuff, or shop at Hobby Lobby. But I do. I love creating things.

And it's not just my style and taste that has changed. It feels good to grow into your own. When I was at Walla Walla I could feel it. I could feel something, or Someone, in my soul telling me that I wasn't reaching high enough, that I wasn't who I was supposed to be yet. And I wasn't going to get there if I stayed in Walla Walla.

So, again, I'm reminded of how awesome God is, how awesome Southern is.

Southern is also awesome because Collegedale got 3cm of snow and we have a snow day tomorrow! Heeck yea!

16 comments:

  1. try a foot of snow...yeah, I pretty much live in Narnia at the moment.
    and yes, Southern is awesome isn't it. I'm glad you're making these discoveries :)
    sorry about the bean bag...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious. The Mister Peanut comment made me laugh, good one!! I'm sorry the bean bag didn't happen. But I am glad the memory did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A snow day at southern? No way! Sounds like you really have found what you were looking for Tara! I see how you wanted me to have that same growing experience by coming to Southern... Thanks! I'm waiting for God to show me where to go like He took you to Southern. We should talk soon! Wish you were here to go to Porland:) Love TINA

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. Sorry your peanut beanbag didn't turn out! but it's an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give my condolences to Mrs Peanut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the Mr. Peanut part was my favorite..I think I laughed out loud

    ReplyDelete
  7. if you can leave that tape there a little longer, i was planning on killing mr peanut anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrea made a beanbag stuffed with plastic bags once. Or maybe it was her mom. Anyway...maybe a Keele could help you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think it was super nice of them to let you know about that snow day early enough to stay up really late :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've definitely not had projects work out before. It can be really frustrating. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you for embarking on such a big peanut project! I have trouble deciding what kind of pillow to make. Then I give up because it's too much thought for a pillow...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tara,
    You crack us up. Poor Mr. Peanut.

    Well I still think your bean bag idea could work... maybe it just needs a little reinforcements behind the bright colorful cloth. Maybe all it needs is a backing that is strong enough to hold the creative material.

    Don't give up. I think it is a grand idea!

    Kati and Hill

    ReplyDelete
  13. sorry the bean bag didnt work out, but it is always worth trying things once! way to have the initiative to try! in the meantime you should make up a really good story of what the tape is for! p.s. cant believe we actually got that much snow there, dont freeze your butt off!

    ReplyDelete
  14. dude, just get some heavier material (easy) and then do like six rows of stitches real close together (a little tricky maybe) and there you go! so do-able!

    ReplyDelete