Sunday, February 7, 2010

d to the red


I got a dread put in a week ago...at the bottom of my head. Just one. I would explain to you why...but that's for another blog.

Right now my dear friend Melissa is diligently working to get this dread out. Zach took first shift, and now she's finishing up. It's knotted. Knotted good. Zach put it in...but wasn't expecting my hair to dread as easily as it did. "I've never seen a white person's hair dread like this." Well...that's because I don't have white person hair....

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure what I thought dreads were...I had never actually thought out the process. But, turns out, it's a bunch of knots. A bunch of matted knots. And they don't come out easy. But we're trying to take it out nonetheless. I want it to be thinner...so we're re-doing it, provided that I have any hair left.

They've been working on it for two hours, while we watch the Superbowl. My butt is numb...and I'm sure Melissa's hands are tired. She's been combing through the knots, applying gooey conditioner and taking precautions to ensure that my scalp stays attached to my head. She's wonderful.

Oh the dread. What a fun memory this will be someday.

putting it in....



taking it out....



10 comments:

  1. Tara, I almost dreaded my hair after Spring Break last year. I still kinda wish I had. Anyhow, that's exciting that you have one! Or will have one after it gets re-done:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahahhahah
    (breath)
    hahahahahahahahha
    you make me laugh tara. the dread was a bit thick eh? weell put a picture of it up here silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! Tara... Do you whole head! You'd look awesome!

    Just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't flake out. Get another, thinner one. That doesn't bunch up at the bottom. And then have patience to leave it in till it gets long and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm going go be honest. i like them thicker. i like the one you had... or still have half of. anyway, i'm excited to see your dreadlock version 2.0 when it's time. if you can still trust Zach...

    ReplyDelete
  6. so one of my old boyfriends said he'd want to dump me if i got dreads... sweet, huh? and i totally feel you. my mom use to take me to a black hair dresser when i was a kid. seriously. white people didn't know what to do with my hair. and i also think you should get dreads all over your head :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that you put the rest of your hair up and leave the dread down on a regular basis. Like a drat tail. Hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to see this dread up close and personal. As cool as I think it would be for you to have dreads all over your head, I will be a true friend and warn you (although trying to thin out the ONE that you put in probably is proof enough) that taking them out is not a trip to the park...but I mean hey, you're only young once right?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you know what comes after dreadlocks. baldness. which might be worth it. by the way, the word i have to type to verify that it's a real person is splidale. use it in your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think everyone seriously should try putting in a dread at one point in time in their life...well if their hair lets them...sorry to hear the ending sucked so bad...you should try again! p.s. things are lookign up again for iquitos, sent you an email, write back soon!

    ReplyDelete