Sunday, February 28, 2010

it's starting

As I write this I am laying in a hammock, in the most awesome tree house I have ever seen. There are like, six floors, with hammocks stationed on each one. Paul’s adopted daughters (Candy and Martha) wanted to go swimming, so Amanda and I brought them here to this incredible pool with a fountain.
Below this little haven I can hear Spanish music blasting…probably from a stand on the side of the road, there is a child screaming, a dog barking, people laughing, and now I can hear boys giggling as they climb up these ladders…probably on their way up to where I’m at. But up here it’s nice…cause I can get away and think.
We went out to eat with the girls from Poppy’s house tonight (that’s the name of the home that all of the girls stay). There are 9 girls, and three of them have kids. Some of them are between 12 and 16…and I think a couple might be in their 20s? We haven’t had very many opportunities to hang out with these girls yet, they just got done with their summer school finals, and Amanda and I have been settling in and hanging out with Paul and the girls…so this was my first opportunity to really talk to any of the girls. And when I say “talk” I mean…well…have broken conversation. I sat next to a girl named Victoria last night on the bus on the way home. At first she was indifferent…answering my questions, but not really interested in talking to me. But after I persisted a little more and started asking her what she liked to do she started to open up and actually ask me some questions. Connection. Yes. We laughed and took pictures, I told her to make a silly face…and at first she resisted..but then she finally kinda stuck out her tongue. Man…the power of smiles and laughter and love… what a beautiful combination.
Tonight we’re going to go over to Poppy’s house and talk to the staff about the things we can do with the girls while we’re there. I bought a lot of crafty things before I came (like tie dye, puff paint, markers, clay, etc.) and we’re hoping to incorporate those things into some kind of lesson that we want to get across to them this week. All of these girls have come from an abusive home, and nearly all of them were sexually abused. There’s so much brokenness inside all of their eyes…but when they laugh…sigh…my heart swells.
Candy just came up to get me, she is so cute. She doesn’t speak English as well as Martha…but she is seriously so sweet. She’s…18? Studying to be a doctor. They want me to come and swim…but I gave my swimsuit to Amanda. But apparently Amanda has some master plan to get around that little issue “Come talk to Amanda, she speak English better.”
Anyway, there’s an update for you. It’s hard for me to write these because there’s so much…but yet not enough yet. I haven’t started working with the girls yet…so I don’t know what’s going to happen or how that will effect maybe what I want to do in the future. But just from last night I can feel my heart starting to connect…and that’s when things start happening for me. So I’m sorry that this isn’t very descriptive, and I’m sorry it’s not written super well. Bottom line is that I’m starting to really connect with people here, my Spanish is rough and I laugh at myself a lot..but I’m getting it, the heat is ridiculous here and I may actually come back with a tan (but don’t get too jealous…it may just be an awful burn), and I can feel God working.
Ok now Martha just yelled at me…something about swimming in my underwear. Gotta go friends. Blessings!

8 comments:

  1. i haven't even read yet. i just want to be first!!! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have read it. and if you're a just a bunch of girls, you should have thought of swimming in your underwear ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hah i'm glad you are laughing at yourself....yes! :) love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Tara, your simply not going to want to leave. Anna Victoria.... tell her I'm your mom and she will automatically glom onto you. I taught her how to swim. And I'm so jealous that you're hanging with Martha and Candy. I was their "mom" for 2 months. I've been looking at the blog of the couple that's out there right now. I went to school with the girl's dad and he gave me their blog address. Saw the tree house you were chillin' in. Very cool. Give the girls a squeeze for me, ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome, awesome, awesome.
    Language barrier? Nope. Love and laughter is all you need...
    I am so incredibly happy for you AND for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're having a good time hanging out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading. I'm listening. I'm hearing the start of something that will grow into something great for the one who gave Himself for us. As you can probably guess, my little one, my eyes are leaking. Joy, pride, hope, love and more. More than words can express. And the cool thing? Those are what HE is feeling about you. :-) Me too. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tara! I am so glad that things are going well there and that you are starting to be able to communicate with the girls there. Are Peruvians kissers?....if so remember to look out for old ladies...or maybe men in your case.

    ReplyDelete