Monday, March 1, 2010

gaining speed

Every time I sit down to write a blog I get overwhelmed. There's too much to say, too many new things...too many thoughts.

Do I tell the funny stories, the gross ones, or the sad ones? Do I tell you what I'm feeling, thinking, doing, praying? Should I talk about how the language barrier is frustrating and exciting at the same time, and that I actually kind of enjoy making a fool of myself as long as I'm learning? Should I tell you that I almost cried today out of discouragement because I felt like I was too idealistic in my expectations for connecting with these girls? But then tell you how the rest of the day unfolded into laughter and bonding? Or maybe I should tell you that there's a girl name Elvira here who I absolutely adore, who has a son that is three years old that fell asleep on my lap today. I could also go into detail about how I felt when I heard all nine of the girls' stories today, and what it made my heart do. I could probably talk about how I swallowed a hair in my food yesterday and couldn't stop thinking about it for a good two hours (I have a pretty extreme phobia of hair). Or I could try to explain the AWESOMENESS that takes place on these roads. There are NO rules, and everyone drives around in these three wheeled motor cars. Last night we packed four of us in one of those little things and drove on this bumpy dirt road while a lightning storm came.
I could talk about the doubting slash equally confirming thoughts I've had about what I'm doing with my life and where I'm going...but those aren't formulated yet so maybe that little can of worms can just stay tight for a bit. Oh, I also could talk about how I held a monkey today, I walk by two huge parrots every time I go to my room (we're trying to teach them how to sing "la cucaracha"), there are salamanders crawling all over the walls, and I've seen two HUGE cockroaches in the house (bigger than the one we found Chels!).

But none of these things would even come close to explaining to you this experience. Every day is new. There are new things every day...pretty much every hour. I will tell you that I'm more convinced than ever that I want to learn Spanish. I really am having so much fun trying to learn and saying things wrong all the time (even though I'm actually surprised at how much I'm able to say and communicate). They'll giggle...but they'll correct me and appreciate that I'm trying...and then I get to laugh at myself too, which has become a great form of entertainment for all. ADVENTURE!!

I'm gonna try to get some pictures up sometime soon. I'll put faces with some names...and then I'll start telling you about the people.

I gotta go now though, tomorrow we get a 7am wake up call to go help with purchasing at the market. Heeck yea!

6 comments:

  1. tara, i'm super proud of you. (i'm writing this comment with one hand while holding a baby in the other.) i'm praying for you. lots. lots of prayer. lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see you SOON and hear all these stories in person :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Youre my hero. Not just talking about it, but doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew this would happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NO WAY. Bigger than the roach we saw? There are no words... I'm just not going to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds incredibly awesome honey! I am so proud of you and so excited to hear of your adventures! I am delighted that you are safe and that the adventure is coming true. Dad

    ReplyDelete