Tuesday, June 29, 2010

shift

I exercised along the Puget Sound yesterday in West Seattle, on this wonderful strip of asphalt that runs right along the water. Running is always easier when you can see things to be thankful for, don't you think? Yesterday, I was motivated by the mountains that stood with an overwhelming presence just across The Sound. They were beautiful. Every once in awhile a boat would glide into the picture, going right into that place where the sun's rays were cutting through the clouds onto the water (does that 'cloud-break' ever remind you of heaven?).


Everyone was out on this, perfect-temperature-just-cloudy-enough-to-make-the-sky-pretty, evening...so people watching was at its absolute peak.


There was the 60 year-old man who had that speed-walk DOWN. I mean, he was MOVING those arms at an alarming rate!


The young couple with the poor dis-engaged boyfriend. As I approached I heard the girl say, "I just don't understand why she thinks she needs to be friends with all her exes. What have they ever done for her besides bring her drama?" (preach it sister)


Then there's the woman in her 40s who looks like life has hit her pretty hard. Her eyes are focused but pained as she passes by. Maybe it's family stuff, or marriage stuff, or job stuff. But there's something deep in her soul that's making her run that hard.


There's guy who is training for a marathon who lapped me. Twice.


Then the ultra in-shape couple with equally typical "I am an amazing athlete" t-shirts on.
The back of hers said: "The best just got better"
The back of his: "It's you verses you"


And then there's me... wondering if people wonder what my story is.


What is my story, anyway?

Well yesterday my story was a melancholy one. It consisted of low self-esteem, worry, and regret. Those days hit sometimes... the overwhelming, when will I get my !@#$% together, days. It's those days when you totally forget that you are a child of God. And that you are LOVED. Loved in the exact package that you come in, even with all the baggage you've got crammed in there.


But back to West Seattle...I'd reached the point where it was time for me to turn around and get back to the car. So I made an about-face and just immediately stopped and stared. The mountains had been beautiful, motivational even. And then I turn around and I realize that this scene will guide me all the way back...(keep in mind the picture is not doing the view of this beautiful city justice...)






ahhhhhhhhh. New perspective.

Thank God.

4 comments:

  1. tara i'm proud of you. keep looking for the sunshine--you're inspiring. miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this! I love being able to see what you were experiencing by reading your writing....it was a great visual.

    So your running alot now huh? Thats awesome!

    Soon you'll be wearing a T-shirt that says "My better is better than your better" haha...its off a Nike ad

    lots of love, keep it up girl!

    ~Carley

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like this too! :) man we've not talked in a while. it's getting to be time! tomorrow?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is almost time to make some more memories!!! I hope that you are ready.

    ReplyDelete