Thursday, January 13, 2011

it's like, ah.

I couldn't sleep last night. My legs were restless--really, really restless. I've had pink eye and blue thoughts, and that equals a homebody, and a homebody equals not much activity, and not much activity equals unhappy legs. They were aching to move--pushing from the inside out--all the way down to my toes. So I ran--inside my bed.

Swish swish swish swish swish. Right in between those sheets. (That's about the time my cat growled and jumped off my bed.)

There, is that better legs?

No? Alright then--Eat, Pray, Love it is.

I did lots of sit-ups last night. Not because that's what I do when I can't sleep (I wish) but because I needed to UNDERLINE. This Liz Gilbert, man, she is sayin' some good freakin' stuff. I would be reading and then WHAM, exactly! So I'd shoot up and underline. Then I'd lay back down. Then I'd shoot up and underline. Then lay back down. (My cat was pretty irritated with me at this point.)

So here are some things that my good friend Liz said last night. Don't skim. They're worth reading.

"People universally tend to think that happiness is a stroke of luck, something that will maybe descend upon you like fine weather if you're fortunate enough. But that's not how happiness works. Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it, you must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it...It's easy enough to pray when you're in distress but continuing to pray even when your crisis has passed is like a sealing process, helping your soul hold tight to its good attainments."

"The search for contentment is, therefore, not merely a self-preserving and self-benefiting act, but also a generous gift to the world. Clearing out all your misery gets you out of the way. You cease being an obstacle, not only to yourself but to anyone else. Only then are you free to serve and enjoy other people."

I LOVE this last one. Get out of the WAY self! MOVE OVER. We've got people to serve and no time for your (my) misery.

8 comments:

  1. ooooo sistah, ohhhhhh sistah. i did not skim....though the blockieness of that paragraph tempted me. i read it and am soooo grateful i did. yeah liz gilbert. yeah sit up. hahah yeah running in your sheets. hahah this was a funny blog and good blog. double WHAM. I like that word. thanks for introducing me to that word. :) Love Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm good insight on happiness for sure.

    I think I'll read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tara you crack me up! i think i have employed the running between the sheets before. but usually my method is to contort my body into really uncomfortable and crazy positions and to lay there like that for as long as i can bear it and then my previous "restless" positions now feel comfortable. but i like your blog. and i want to read that book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like contorted positions, too. i don't like getting tangled in sheets. i like the second quote. i don't like the first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to run in-between the covers for exercise when I was little. But the in-bed sit-ups never seemed as constructive as the out-of-bed ones. And I've got some of my own thoughts on happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really remember anything from that book...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i seriously love this book. this post makes me want to read it all over again. i can guarantee you that those exact phrases are highlighted in my book right now :)

    ReplyDelete