Tuesday, January 4, 2011

externally internal


I realize that it's a little vain to have a picture of myself like this on my blog. BUT the significance of what you see up there is--significant. When I made my hair cut appointment I didn't have this in mind. No bangs. No crazy layers. Nothing DRASTIC.

But something happened inside of me today while driving between Yakima and Walla Walla. I talked to God. And it was good. Do you know what talking to God and just being painfully honest does to your soul? You probably do. You've probably done it much more than me. But after I just BARED IT ALL I felt so FREE. And READY. And STRONG.

And so I thought, why the heck not? Why not embrace something different and new? The reactions were funny. I think it would be fair to say that mostly people were just shocked. Nothing negative, or even positive. Just shocked. Comments like, "I don't even know who you are!" and "Where did your curly hair go!?" were shouted. And the best one. The very best one. Was when my dad walked into the house and INTRODUCED himself to me. He thought I was one of my friends! Oh man. That was wonderful.

But my point here is... the haircut isn't why I feel like a different person today. It is helping, to be sure, but it's not what did me in. I think it was God. I think that something has finally clicked and I'm finally ready.

I'm finally ready to work really hard. Really hard on life. I'm ready to use this transition period as a real period in life--not some flowy, jell-o-y, murky bog of... not life. I've been blessed with this free chunk of time and I have JUST now realized it.

Anthony says that you can always tell that a girl is going through something if she does something drastic to her hair. Well hot dang, I guess he's right.

13 comments:

  1. Drastic is good then. Real good. I like your haircut even more now. Thanks for praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Car rides alone are the VERY BEST time to pray. I love praying in the car. And I DO like your hair, and I am sorry that my shocked comments were too neutral. And we need to talk again. It's been a whole day. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. tara! i love that you feel so resolved about life stuff right now, that is wonderful! and i know that you will do a ton in this time. way to be my friend! and anthony is right i think, i always do drastic stuff to my hair when i am 'going through something' :) love the new hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well dang. i was shocked too. and i tried to introduce myself to your picture. what if we had horns? do you think we'd all try to do crazy carvings or trimmings of our horns in those going-through-something times? i would. lightning horns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well I'm happy to learn that about girls, happy you are ready and resolved, and happy I read this blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anthony's smart.
    God's good.
    You're cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Proud of you, Becker! You are READY to do those bangs...and conquer the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I talk/pray to God in my car all the time. It's the best.

    Also, I think our skype date is due very soon. I'd like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed out loud about Chris's lightening horns.
    This made a lot of sense to me Tara and I think that this change is good.

    ReplyDelete