Thursday, October 8, 2009

still.

I'm irresponsible.

There.

I said it.

I put off this paper that was due TUESDAY until TODAY right before class started at two. I gave myself an hour. An hour Tara? Seriously?

So there I am, frantically trying to get this thing finished, getting more and more frustrated with the assignment/myself. But mostly just myself. I wanted to do this on Sunday. Then Monday. Then Tuesday. Then Wednesday. And...hey look at that...I just ran out of days.

I finished it at 1:53. A shameful piece of work that will be returned to me sporting a nice crimson color all over its pages. After printing it off in the Journalism Department I hastily started walking towards the stairwell to get to my class. A guy who had printed something off just after me was walking in my same direction, with an extra persistence in his step.

We were both late.

We were both stressed.

We were both having a sub-optimal day.

We made some joke about wishing the day was over and being late for class. "You know what?" I said. "Ultimately this doesn't matter. School doesn't matter in the long run. It will all be ok." I pounded the railing for emphasis as we dashed up the stairs.

Silence.

"Ok well good luck," he said. And went through the second floor door.

I bustled into my PR class. Late. Frazzled. I got all my stuff out. Situated my desk and my papers. I glanced at the board to see if I was supposed to be doing anything.

"Be still and know that I am God." Ps. 46:10

I stopped. Right there, above the agenda for the day were the words I was aching to hear. I read them again.

"Be STILL and know that I am God."

I sat back and sighed.

Point taken, thanks God.


It's Thursday. Tomorrow is Friday. Then...the day that I can actually be still. Yessss.

6 comments:

  1. I wonder why it can be so hard to know that He is God when we're not still.

    Thanks for the lesson, Tara. I'm gonna go be still and not do more TO-DO tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reminder. I could be still more often. I miss you so much Tara, you and the whole group. I hope that I get to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 3:30. Poor Amanda is trying to sleep with all these lights on and me clicking away at this dang computer working on this dang paper for dang world religions class. IT'S 3:30 IN THE MORNING!!! Perhaps it is time that I FINALLY be still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. why do we so easily forget to be still? it's truly the key to success. a successful day. a successful life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely forgot what I was going to say about this blog because the word verification that I have to type in is "phallic." Seriously. I can't think of what I was going to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes God is the coolest communicator.

    (And Chelsea, don't worry...your typing was actually soothing and lulled me to sleep long before 3:30.)

    ReplyDelete