Thursday, October 1, 2009

the track.



This semester I have the privilege of waking up at 6:30am every Tuesday and Thursday to go to my Fitness for Life class. Tiffany Billington insisted that this was the best time to take the class, so like the good friend that I am, I agreed. Tiffany thinks I come into class every morning and glare at her. I haven't noticed, but maybe it's subconscious.

Thursday mornings are exercise days. We put this heart monitor strip around our chest and wear a watch that tells us how fast our heart is beating. Then, we set our range. We're told to stay in this range as we exercise. This basically means that you run a little to speed your heart up, and then when your heart starts beating at the top of your range, you start walking until your heart slows to the bottom of your range, and then you start running to get your heart to the top, then you start walking to get it to the bottom. So there we all are. running. walking. running. walking. There are people all over the track, but no one is exercising together because you have to stop and go by where your heart is at.

"This is the most tedious thing I've ever done," I told one of my classmates that happened to be walking at the same time.

"I know," he said. "It's like, just once you start to get going you have to stop again."

Then his watch beeped. And he ran off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have this friend who's been hanging out with this boy. They are "friends." They're in that stage when there's no title. He's not ready to date yet. But they're dating. Emotionally.

walk.

I have this other friend who was recently "casually dated." The only problem is that to her, it wasn't casual.

walk.

Another friend. She put all of her heart into a relationship, he couldn't quite get to where she was. Her heart breaks. His heart breaks.

walk.

Another friend. She is loved by this man. She can't bring herself to love him back. It sucks. For both parties.

walk.

Another friend. There are two of them. She can't decide. Her heart tears in two.

Run? Walk?

Another friend. He likes this girl. She likes his friend. He just got "the talk."

walk.

Another friend. She was in a relationship for a long time. But she couldn't fall in love. Now it's over. But it still hurts. Oh, how it hurts.

Walk.

Another friend. She liked this boy for a long time. He decides to date her. But then decides that it's not right. Heart break.

walk.

Another friend.

Another friend.

Another friend.

walk.

walk.

walk.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


So there we all are, on this track I like to call life. Everyone is running and walking at different paces, only in each others company in passing. Sometimes someone comes and walks with you, and then runs with you, and you keep that pace together for awhile, maybe forever. But then, there are those of us still running solo, trying to figure out when to walk, and when it's ok to run. Worrying that their heart is going to reach the top of its range, and they'll start to walk...leaving us still running.


I had someone say tonight with tears in her eyes, "I don't want love. I don't want it."

How could something so beautiful be so painful at the same time? When will it just, line up? How does one understand matters of the heart? Heart matters.

heart.

matters.

My dad told me once, " Just start on your journey Tara, and someday you'll look over and see someone right beside you, headed in the same direction, at the same pace."

My dad is really wise. But sometimes I wonder if he remembers being my age.

16 comments:

  1. I don't know what you were doing, writing at 5:28 AM, but maybe you should do it more often. This is good.

    It's hard to know which is worse: all that running and walking, or sitting on the couch like a lazy bum..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, you hit it, dead on. This is solid. This is truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is one of the best. Best blogs. You fed me an honesty that gave me a tummy ache. Painfully honest. Worst when I can know which friends your talking about. Really good work.

    But it kind of makes me need a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good bit of writing.
    Nice metaphor. ;)
    My initial response was "very, very, very well done."

    We should talk about the content. I think that would be best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. being in fit for life sucks at the moment, but someday you'll look back and laugh about how sucky it was. sometimes thats how I feel will be the case with all of this relationship stuff. Sure, for some people it will continue to be really bad, and for others, this confusing run/walk time will be reviewed with laughter and a little nostalgia. some of it already is that way for me... I guess what I'm trying to say is that I view it a little less like a brutal victimizing process, and more of an interesting and exciting adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tara,
    We love this so much!! We always look forward to your writings because they are well.... just soooooo good.
    They touch us. They give us goose bumps.

    This is perfect. So many people hurting right now.. running and walking.

    Wow Tara nicely put!

    We love and miss you lots!
    Kati & Hill

    ReplyDelete
  8. tara, wow, yet another amazing blog. i loved your correlation. always hated that part of fitness for life! never kept within my range, kinda gave up. as far as the relationship thing goes, you totally hit it on the mark...they can be really frustrating. i am hoping that you are not one of those ¨friends¨right now. if so i wish i could be there to give you a huge hug! don´t worry eventually i truly think you and i will find the right guys and it will have been worth all of the trouble beforehand. by the way, sent you an email, you should check it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. again, somehow missed this one. and again, we are dissimilar. :) I love doing intermittent training and strapping them things on my chest and run walk run walk run walking my way to a good sweat and beautifully hilly HR report. As for the relationships... I wish I could do something about each of those cases you mentioned. I am ignorant, but sympathetic. I wish I could be someone for those cases, too. Of course, I'm not the one to have to write that blog, so in many ways, my ignorance is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I met your mom, there was nothing more that I wanted than to run like the wind with her. But she was not ready to run. So, I walked and waited until she was ready to run. When Patti and I first met, she wanted to run and I still wanted to walk. So, she walked with me until I was ready to run. The point is this: life's relationships don't always start out at the same speed. They don't always fit our schedule. They often seem like they will never happen and then they appear all too unexpectedly. The truth is about life, and love, that you will share your path - or the track - with many people, all coming in and out of your life at different speeds. The key is to not try to force it - to not try to get someone to match your pace - to run when you want to run or walk when you want to walk. It is to simply watch for the one that doesn't care if they walk, run, skip, or jog - as long as they are doing it with you. :-)

    Happy trails. I love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm working right now, but also catching up on blog posts in between customers. I loved this post Tara! loved it. I really like you alot and 'look up to you' in many ways even though we're not 'close' friends. keep blogging, I enjoy reading.
    This was a very elegantly organized piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We need to talk soon! I don't know what to do... do I walk, or do I run? It's tough. But thanks for your blogs, Kate and Hill just shared this one with me tonight when we were skyping. Well, I'm going to be making a call to you soon! Love Tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.
    That was really good. So true.
    I miss ya Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i know you've told me a billion times to read your blog and i get so busy and forget but i finally read your blogs and they are amazing tarabara. you are so insightful and i love the way you write. im so glad we're friends :)... this is chelsey by the way :)

    ReplyDelete