Sunday, February 3, 2008

To a point

Tony Campolo came to speak at our school this weekend. What an amazing experience it was to sit there and listen to this man who had absolutely no boundaries to what he was going to say, and I mean that in a completely positive way. He said some things that the Christian community has been needing to hear for a long time. That I've been needing to hear for a long time. There were some comments that he made that really shook me. He talked about how we are willing to be a Christian...to a point. It's like we make up our own rules on what it means to be a Christian, and the kind of Jesus we want to serve. Jesus lived with absolutely nothing, his life was ministry to others. Back in the day, like junior high or something. I wore one of those bands on my wrist that said, W.W.J.D?-"What would Jesus Do?" And now I find myself coming face to face with that very question. I can guarantee you He wouldn't be buying 3 dollars worth of coffee a couple times a week, or complaining about his wardrobe when His drawers are overflowing with clothes. Jesus would be out DOING things, giving his possessions away to those who were less fortunate than He was. Tony made an appeal and asked those who were interested to give him a year of their life...to go work in the inner cities of Philadelphia and serve those who are living in poverty. Take grandparents to the doctor, play with kids who have no where to go but down, to just... serve. I feel like this might be something God is calling me to do. I'll have to pray about it a lot more, but I really feel like this might be something He's been planning for me all along. Oh man, this is crazy!

4 comments:

  1. not too crazy. but just crazy enough to be what God has in mind. Give of yourself. Give, Give, Give, and you'll be Filled, Filled, Filled, with Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it Tara. We have our whole lives to live normally if we like. Let's do something gutsy while we have the guts. What if God is giving you the guts now cause he wants you to go? I'm thinking it fits you pretty darn well. Downtown Philly. Tara Becker. They sound good together! :) Well I am down stairs studying while you left me and went to sleep. Sleep Well!! Love Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE you Tara Becker! That's the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you Tara! You are going to have the most amazing future! Live out loud girl!
    I love you so much honey,
    Madre

    ReplyDelete